Skip to Main Content

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)



What Is It?

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) is financial assistance provided for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals.


How Do I Qualify?

• Be currently serving in the ARNG and completed AIT, WOBC, or BOLC

• Not be flagged

• Not have a hold on your ArmyIgnitED account (once created)

• Must maintain a 2.0 or higher GPA for undergraduate courses or a 3.0 or higher GPA for graduate courses

Service Requirement/Obligation:

• Enlisted: Have an ETS or MRD after completion of FTA funded course(s)

• Officers and Warrant Officers: Subject to a two-year active duty service obligation (ADSO) or four-year reserve duty obligation (RDSO)


What Do I Get?

• Up to $167 per quarter hour, up to 16 SHs per fiscal year

• Can earn one degree at each of the following levels, Associates, Bachelor's and Master's

• Lifetime limit of 130 undergraduate semester hours and 39 graduate semester hours

• CAN be used simultaneously with Chapter 1606/ MGIB-SR for the same course, when attending half-time or more


How Do I Apply?

Go to and establish an account by clicking “Get Started” (CAC ID required)

• Request an Education Goal (select your school and degree program)

• Enroll in courses at your School

• Return to ArmyIgnitED and request TA for the courses you want to use TA for

o Courses can be requested up to 60 days but MUST be requested at least 8 days prior to the start date of that course

o Once courses are approved, go back into ArmyIgnitED and print the authorization form to provide to the school

• An evaluated degree plan/audit will be required after the completion of 6 credit hours using FTA


For More Information:

Contact the Education Support Center: 866-ARNGEDU (276-4338)

Visit Us Online:

Contact your State Education Services Office:

Available Benefits and How They are Paid

Tuition Assistance:

Tuition Assistance is a payment made directly to the school for tuition not to exceed an annual amount determined by each branch's annual budget (refer questions regarding this amount to your Commanding Officer).  Please note that each Branch of Service may pay a different amount in Tuition Assistance.

Top Up:

Top-up is limited to 36 months of payments.  The amount of the benefit is limited to the amount that the person would receive for the same course if regular benefits were being paid. In no case can the amount paid by the military combined with the amount paid by VA be more than the total cost of the course. If you are receiving the Montgomery GI Bill®, you will receive the difference between what the DoD pays for the course and the total cost of the course (not to exceed the GI Bill® monthly maximum). If you are receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill® your school will be reimbursed the difference between the amount the DoD pays for the course and the authorized maximum tuition and fees for the school.

Your GI Bill® entitlement is charged differently depending on which GI Bill® program you are using:

♦If you are utilizing the Montgomery GI Bill® your entitlement is charged based on the dollar amount of benefits VA pays you. You will be charged one month of entitlement for each payment you receive that is equal to the full time monthly rate for the GI Bill®.

♦If you are utilizing the Post-9/11 GI Bill® your entitlement is charged based on the training time you are enrolled in. If you are going to classes at the half-time training level you will be charged for a half month of Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits for each month you are enrolled and receiving GI Bill® benefits no matter how much money you are reimbursed.

You need to consider carefully your own situations and contact your School Certifying Official (SCO) to discuss applying for Top-up. For example, if you plan to take expensive courses using Top-up, you need to consider whether you'll take additional training after you're discharged from active duty. If so, you need to understand the effect of using the Top-up. You can then calculate whether your remaining benefits will cover the additional training you might need.

Withdrawing From or Failing a Course

If you are considering or planning to withdraw from a course:


Withdrawing from the quarter or failing a course can result in an overpayment between the student and the VA. 

This overpayment will create a debt that can affect future payments from the VA.